Friday, July 15, 2011

Today's update sounds much like that of last Friday but today I did pretty much the same as last week. My husband, who lost his job as the store he worked for was totally destroyed by the tornado on May 22nd has begun a temporary job so I only have a car on certain days. There have not been many come to the house this week for gluten free food but there are a number in the community that are making use of the gluten free pantry that we have set up in Mission Joplin. I took a number of boxes of food in there today. The shelves were pretty well picked over. I spent some time rearranging the shelves and filling in all the blank spots. A very nice volunteer helped me with it.She said her sister is a Celiac and so she realizes the importance of having this food available.
I feel like I have been doing a lot of thank you's lately but I am going to thank those who have sent gluten free food to those in our city again. There are now stores in Joplin that sell gluten free food that are open again although we are still missing a Wal-Mart, a Dillons and an Aldis. (all will be rebuilding) And of course most of the people who lost their homes and jobs still do not have them restored yet. so these supplies that you have all sent are still needed.

I also took a box of food to the Lutheran pastor who is Celiac and whose church is one of the main centers for workers in the tornado ravaged area as I have been told he is working long hours and is unable to eat much of what the church is fixing as meals for workers and victims. And I also took a box of gf snack foods for the family the is gluten intolerant and is working every day at Mission Joplin.
My plan is to contact the Celiacs and gluten intolerant who we have already helped and ask them if they would like to come by again as I am assuming some may be running short by now. God bless you all and have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. If we'd like to donate some gluten-free items, where should we go? Where is the GF Food pantry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have two food pantry's set up for gluten free food in Joplin. Please email me at glutenfreejoplin@gmail.com for addresses. Rita G

    ReplyDelete